Follow these steps to set up your Video Doorbell Pro in the Ring app.
Download the Ring app
If you haven't downloaded the Ring app before, visit ring.com/app on your mobile device and follow the steps on the page.
Create or sign in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
- Open the Ring app.
- Select Create Account.
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Tap 'Set up a Device’
Tap Set Up a Device, then select Doorbells.
Scan the QR code on your Ring device
You can scan the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging via the Ring app.
- Tap the menu (≡) on the left side of your Dashboard in the Ring app.
- Tap Set up a Device and select Doorbells.
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan.
- Point your smartphone’s camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging. If you don’t see the QR code, please remove your doorbell’s faceplate.
- Centre the code in your phone camera’s view at the bottom half of the screen.
- When the code is recognised, a green square will appear and a pop-up with your device image will be detected.
If you have issues scanning the QR code, follow these steps:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus.
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds.
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again.
If you still have issues, try the following steps:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner.
- Select Can’t Scan the QR code.
- Confirm by selecting Enter code manually (this corresponds to PIN code digits under the QR code).
- Find your device in the list.
- Enter your five digit PIN which can be found below the QR code.
Specify your location
You'll now be prompted to provide your location. Without a location specified, certain features of your Video Doorbell will not work properly.
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you'll get a request on your phone to let the Ring app use your phone's location services to pinpoint your location. Approve the request, then enter your address into the app where prompted, and then confirm it one more time.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Name your device
Select a name for your Video Doorbell Pro to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or enter your own by selecting Custom… at the bottom of the list.
Follow the physical installation steps in the Ring app
Now you'll be prompted with steps to physically install your doorbell. Follow these steps if you haven't yet. Or if you have already completed these steps, tap I’ve Already Installed It.
If you have an existing internal doorbell, select whether it is a mechanical or digital doorbell, or select None if you are installing your Video Doorbell without connecting to an internal doorbell.
Put your Video Doorbell Pro into Setup Mode
If you have never set up your doorbell before, it will automatically enter Setup Mode for you.
If you need to manually enter Setup Mode, press and release the small button on the side of your doorbell. When there is a spinning white light on the front of your Video Doorbell, tap the Continue button in your Ring app.
Connect to your Ring device
The Ring wifi network is a temporary access point that you join briefly during the setup of a Ring device. After you connect to the temporary Ring wifi network, you will connect to your own home wifi network. Then, you are no longer connected to the Ring network.
Your smartphone may generate a message that says "no internet connection" or something similar in the settings. This is not a cause for concern. You can safely join the temporary Ring wifi network access point and complete your setup.
iOS: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in Step Four, follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
Navigate to the Settings app, then tap wifi.
- Note: On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then wifi.
Select the Ring wifi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as one of the following:
- Ring- followed by the last six digits of your doorbell's MAC ID.
- Ring Setup followed by the last two digits of your doorbell's MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your Settings app and return to the Ring app.
Connect your Video Doorbell Pro to your wifi
- Select your wifi network. If you have more than one network, select the one closest to where you have installed your Video Doorbell Pro.
- Enter your wifi password and press Continue.
Please note that, after connecting to your wifi network, your Video Doorbell may update its internal software. When this happens, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Once the light stops flashing, the update is complete and you can continue with setup. Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell while the doorbell is updating, as it will further delay the update.
Test your device
Once your Video Doorbell has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will initiate your software and ensure your doorbell is ready to function.