Setting up your Ring Spotlight Cam in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Download the Ring app
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices).
- Search for “Ring.”
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device.
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
Create or log in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select “Create Account.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Tap “Set Up a Device”
Tap “Set Up a Device” then select “Security Cams.”
Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring device
You can scan the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging via the Ring app:
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan
- Point your smartphone camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging
- Centre the code in the camera's view in the bottom half of the screen
- When the code is recognised, you will see a green square and a pop-up with your device image
If you experience issues when scanning the QR code:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again
If you continue to experience issues:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner
- Tap Can’t Scan the QR code
- Tap Enter code manually (this corresponds to PIN code digits underneath the QR code)
- Find your device in the list
- Enter your five digit PIN which can be found below the QR code
Specify your location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Spotlight Cam will not work properly.
Name your device
Select a specific name for your Spotlight Cam to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Plug in your Spotlight Cam
Plug your Spotlight Cam into a power outlet near your wifi router. This helps ensure a good connection to your wifi network during setup.
Put your Spotlight Cam into setup mode
Press and release the button on the top of your Spotlight Cam. When the light on the bottom of your Spotlight Cam is blinking white, tap “Continue” in your Ring app.
Connect to your Ring device
iOS: Tap “Join” when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step four, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap wifi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then wifi.
- Ring- followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- Ring Setup followed by the last two digits of the MAC ID.
Connect your Spotlight Cam to your wifi
Be sure you have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Spotlight Cam.
Note: After connecting to your wifi network, your Spotlight Cam may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the bottom of your device will flash white. When the white light stops flashing, you can tap “Continue” in the Ring app and begin using your Spotlight Cam.
Test your device
Once your Spotlight Cam has completed its update and setup, configure your Spotlight Cam’s motion zones, then open Live View to test your camera.