Fix issues with devices that receive a “Device Registered to Someone Else” message during setup to bring reliable security coverage to your home.
The primary reason why a message saying your new Ring device might be registered to another owner is that at some point, another person started the setup process for that device in the Ring app.
If you purchased it from a retailer, you can return the device and get another one.
If you purchased the device from someone or got it as a gift, ask the person you got it from to follow the instructions on this page to release ownership.
How to release ownership of a Ring device from a previous owner
During your attempt to setup the device, follow the instructions in the Ring app to Learn More About Device Transfers. You can request a transfer from the original/registered owner from there.
If you are not prompted to initiate a transfer, confirm you have the latest version of the Ring app. If you update the app and still don't see the option for a device transfer, contact Ring Customer Support.
There may be other reasons why you're not able to process the transfer request. In those cases, you'll also get a message in your app to contact Ring Customer Support.
If you are in contact with the previous owner of the Ring device, you can request a device ownership from them and have them release the device from the Ring app.
After requesting a device ownership transfer:
- The original/registered owner will get an email from Ring saying someone is attempting to take over their Ring device.
- The transfer process can take 15 days or more from the request date, depending upon what action is taken by the previous owner.
- Once you initiate the transfer process, you’ll receive email messages with status updates.
- If you re-attempt a setup before the device has been released from the previous owner, you’ll get a message saying the transfer has not been completed.
- Ring Customer Support cannot expedite requests to release devices.
To release ownership of the device:
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap the menu (≡) on the top left.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap the device that you want to release.
- Tap Device Settings.
- Tap General Settings.
- Tap Remove this Device on the bottom of the screen.
Frequently asked questions
The person who gave me the Ring device said they released ownership. Why can’t I set it up?
The previous owner may still need to remove it from their Ring account by following the instructions above. Physically uninstalling a Ring device, cancelling a subscription plan, or deleting the Ring app does not release ownership.
Do I need to request ownership of a Ring device if I simply want to share access to it?
No. Instead, ask the device owner if you can become a Shared User.
What should I do if I get a message saying my device can't be transferred?
In cases where your device may have been reported stolen or can’t be transferred for another reason, contact Ring Customer Support.
I tried to set up a Ring device and got this message: 'The device transfer request is in progress.' What should I do?
If the transfer process has not been completed, you’ll need to wait until you receive an email confirming you can set up the device. Ring Customer Support cannot expedite the process.
The previous owner of the Ring device is deceased. What should I do?
Please contact Ring Customer Support for assistance.