Learn how to set up your Ring Video Doorbell (1st Gen) in the Ring app.
Step One: Download the Ring app
If you already have the Ring app installed, skip to the next step.
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices). Then search for "Ring" and download and install the Ring app.
- Alternatively, visit ring.com/app on your mobile device and download from there.
Step Two: Create or log in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select Create Account.
- Follow the instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app and skip to the next step.
Step Three: Scan the QR code to add your doorbell
- Tap the menu (≡) on the left side of your Dashboard in the Ring app.
- Tap Set up a Device and select Doorbells.
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan.
- Point your smartphone’s camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging. (If you don’t see the QR code, please remove your video doorbell’s faceplate).
- Center the code in the phone camera’s view at the bottom half of the screen.
- When the code is recognized, a green square will appear along with a pop-up with an image of your device.
If you experience issues scanning the QR code, try these steps:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus.
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds.
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again.
If you continue to experience issues, try these additional steps:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner.
- Select Can’t Scan the QR code.
- Confirm by selecting Enter code manually (this corresponds to the five-digit PIN code underneath the QR code).
- Find your device in the list.
- Enter your PIN (found below the QR code).
Step Four: Name your device
Select a name for your Ring Video Doorbell to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting Custom at the bottom of the list.
Step Five: Put your Video Doorbell into setup mode
Press and release the orange button on the back of your Ring Video Doorbell. When there is a spinning white light on the front of your Ring Video Doorbell, tap Continue in your Ring app.
Step Six: Connect to your Ring device
- iOS device: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
- Android device: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device doesn't auto-connect to the Ring wifi network or if you chose to continue without scanning in Step Four, follow these steps:
- Exit the Ring app to your phone's home screen.
- Navigate to your Settings app.
- Go to the wifi/network settings.
- Select the Ring wifi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as either:
- "Ring-" followed by the last six digits of the MAC address, the unique device identifier on the back of the device.
- "Ring Setup" followed by the last two digits of the MAC address, the unique device identifier on the back of the device.
- Once connected, return to the Ring app.
Step Seven: Connect your device to wifi
Make sure you’re within range of your router and have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network. If you have more than one network, select the one closest to where you will be installing your Ring Video Doorbell.
- Enter your wifi password.
- Press Continue.
After connecting to your wifi network, your Ring Video Doorbell may update its internal software. While updating, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell at this time, as it will delay the update.
Once the light stops flashing, the update is complete and you can continue the the next step.
Step Eight: Test your device
Once your doorbell has completed its updates and setup, push the front button to test your doorbell.
- Learn to install your Ring Video Doorbell with an existing doorbell.
- Learn to install your Ring Video Doorbell without an existing doorbell.
- Click here to download the instruction manual for Ring Video Doorbell.