Connect your Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation) to a low voltage transformer, even without an existing doorbell, so you don't need to charge your battery.
For your safety, only use an existing doorbell transformer within the range specified below to power your device. For connecting to an existing doorbell system:
- Hardwired transformer (8 to 24 VAC, 50/60Hz, 5VA to 40VA)
Not compatible with: DC, halogen, and garden-lighting transformers.
Before using this optional alternate configuration for your Ring Video Doorbell, it’s important to know that:
- Ring Video Doorbell can only be connected to an AC transformer. DC is not supported.
- Connecting the Ring Video Doorbell to an AC transformer requires some knowledge of wiring and soldering. If you are uncomfortable reading wiring diagrams, hooking up wires or soldering them in place, consult a licensed electrician for assistance or use the built-in rechargeable battery to power your Video Doorbell.
- Wires should be soldered onto the resistor and a wire clip can be used on the other end.
- In addition to the equipment included in your Ring Video Doorbell box, You will need to purchase an electronic resistor. A resistor is REQUIRED in place of a mechanical or electronic doorbell kit for this alternate configuration to work successfully.
- Do NOT install a diode.
Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation)
Ring Video Doorbell 2
Resistors are available to buy on Ring.com: