Learn about Alarm Verified Guard Response, a service that requests a third-party guard to verify an alarming event.
What is a verified response?
In some areas, police and fire departments require that certain alarm signals are verified before emergency responders can be dispatched.
Acceptable verification options may include:
- Visual verification: An eyewitness at the location sees that it’s a true emergency.
- Live feed verification: Your camera’s live feed indicates that there is a real emergency.
- Alarm Verified Guard Response: A service offered with your Ring Alarm.
What is Alarm Verified Guard Response?
Alarm Verified Guard Response will request an unarmed guard from a third-party service to your location to verify an alarming event and then contact emergency responders directly. The guard will not intervene in an emergency.
Guard Response is easy to use. Sign up using the Ring app and you will only be charged if you use it. Guard Response costs $75 per response.
Steps to opt into Guard Response
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap the menu (☰).
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Monitoring.
- Under Type, tap Professional.
- When prompted, tap Opt In for Guard Response.
What happens in an emergency if my area requires a verified response?
The Professional Monitoring* center will first attempt to call all emergency contacts.
If you have signed up for Alarm Verified Guard Response and your Ring Alarm or Ring Alarm Pro sends a Burglar Alarm Signal to the Professional Monitoring* center:
- If no one can be reached, the Professional Monitoring* center will request Guard Response.
- If any contacts answer the phone but none can remember the verbal password, Guard Response is requested.
- If any contact answers the phone, correctly says the verbal password, and asks for help, the monitoring center will request Guard Response.
- If a contact does not remember the verbal password but asks for help, the monitoring center will request Guard Response.
- If a Guard Response is necessary, the guard will drive to your location and see if there is a real emergency or a false alarm. If there is an emergency, the guard will call emergency responders directly.
Smoke Alarm Signals
Get information for all other locations' standard smoke alarm response plan.*
If you have opted-in for Guard Response and your Ring Alarm or Ring Alarm Pro sends a smoke alarm signal to the professional monitoring* center:
- The Professional Monitoring* center will attempt to contact your first emergency contact.
- If no one answers, the monitoring center will request Guard Response.
- If your first emergency contact answers, the monitoring center will request Guard Response unless it’s a false alarm and the contact cancels.
- The monitoring center will attempt to call the emergency contacts to notify them that the Guard Response has been dispatched.
Panic, SOS, and Duress Alarm Signals*
Panic, SOS, and Duress signals* do not require verification. Learn more about standard alarm response plans for Panic, SOS, and Duress.
What happens if I opt out of Guard Response?
If you opt out of Guard Response and neither you nor your emergency contact can be reached, no guard will be requested. Note that depending on the rules of the area where you live, this may also mean that the central monitoring station will be unable to dispatch local emergency responders or the local emergency responders may refuse to respond to the dispatch.
If you opt out of Guard Response and you or your emergency contact answer the phone call from the central monitoring station, you will be given a one-time option to have a Guard Response service visit your home to verify that there’s a true emergency. If you request this service, Ring will bill you for a fee of $75.00 for the response.
* A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring service. Professional Monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own Professional Monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for commercial properties. See Ring Alarm licenses at: https://www.ring.com/licenses. Additional permit or false alarm fees may apply depending on your local jurisdiction. Additional charges may apply in areas that require permits or guard response service for alarm verification.