Virtual Security Guard1 is a monthly subscription service from Rapid Response that provides live monitoring of camera motion events for the compatible, enrolled cameras at your home or business. Trained Rapid Response guards will monitor events when a person is detected and act accordingly on your behalf.
A Virtual Security Guard subscription includes 175 events/month per location. Once you’ve used all your current billing cycle’s included 175 events, the Virtual Security Guard service will turn off unless you have opted in to Extra Events.
To use Virtual Security Guard, you’ll need all of the following:
- Ring Protect Pro or Plus (1st Gen) subscription
- Ring Alarm and enrollment in Alarm Professional Monitoring2
- At least one compatible Ring camera (see below), or Astro for Business
- Virtual Security Guard subscription
- If using Virtual Security Guard with Astro for Business, an Astro Secure and Ring Protect Pro subscription is required. See this page for more details.
Scroll down to learn more about each requirement.
Compatible Alarm Systems
If needed, you can purchase required devices you might be missing here.
Compatible Security Cameras
- Video Doorbell Pro
- Video Doorbell Pro 2
- Video Doorbell Elite
- Video Doorbell Wired
- Video Doorbell
- Video Doorbell 2
- Video Doorbell 3
- Video Doorbell 3 Plus
- Video Doorbell 4
- Peephole Cam
- Floodlight Cam
- Floodlight Cam Wired Pro
- Floodlight Cam Pro Plug-In
- Floodlight Cam Wired Plus
- Floodlight Cam Plus Plug-in
- Spotlight Cam Wired
- Spotlight Cam Mount
- Spotlight Cam Battery
- Spotlight Cam Solar
- Spotlight Cam Pro Battery
- Spotlight Cam Plus Wired
- Spotlight Cam Plus Plug-in
- Spotlight Cam Plus Solar
- Spotlight Cam Plus Battery
- Indoor Cam
- Stick Up Cam (1st Gen)
- Stick Up Cam Battery
- Stick Up Cam Solar (2nd Gen)
- Stick Up Cam Solar
- Stick Up Cam Elite (with PoE Adapter)
- Stick Up Cam Plug-in
- Supported ONVIF-compatible cameras (these do not support Two-Way Talk)
Compatible Astro Devices
- Astro for Business (requires Astro Secure subscription, sold separately)
To learn how Virtual Security Guard works with Astro, go to this article.
- Any Ring Cameras not mentioned in the Compatible Security Cameras section above.
- Cameras using Video End-to-End Encryption.
- Linked Devices. When devices are linked in a Ring security system, the entire group begins functioning if any of them are activated. At this time, this is not supported by Virtual Security Guard.
Alarm Professional Monitoring
You must be enrolled in Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring2 through your Ring Protect Pro subscription (sold separately) for Virtual Security Guard to work. Please note, Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring and Virtual Security Guard’s monitoring are two separate services.
- With Alarm Professional Monitoring, Rapid Response guards can initiate monitoring when certain Ring Alarm sensors are triggered.
- With Virtual Security Guard monitoring, Rapid Response guards will only monitor camera motion events when the service is active. They can see what's happening on your cameras and take action if needed.
- If your Ring Alarm goes off when Virtual Security Guard is active, the Alarm monitoring agent will follow the response settings you've customized in your Monitoring Settings. Ring treats this as an Alarm event, and it won’t count against your monthly event limit.
Additional eligibility requirements
Once you’ve completed setup, make sure you have all the required settings to use the service.
- Good wifi and signal strength at your monitored location.
- Video End-to-End Encryption turned off for enrolled devices.
- Text message alerts from Virtual Security Guard. You can easily opt in from the Virtual Security Guard Control Center.
- Motion detection turned on for your enrolled devices.
- Live View enabled for your enrolled devices.
- Motion Frequency settings set to Regularly or Frequently.
- Virtual Security Guard number (+1-424-300-8338) added to your phone contacts, so you don’t miss any text alerts or event-related calls.
- Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring Enrollment and emergency contacts’ information added as indicated in the Ring app during enrollment.
Optimizing camera placement
Placing your camera in optimal areas is important for Virtual Security Guard.
- Your cameras should be connected to strong wifi so that guards can see your Live View when motion is detected.
- Depending on ambient noise and surroundings, the audio range your device can record may vary. This can also affect the effectiveness of Two-Way Talk.
- Keep your cameras pointed at your own property and away from other people’s private spaces.
- Place cameras in areas where you need extra coverage, such as entry or access points.
- Motion detection and visual monitoring work best when cameras are placed so that visitors pass through their view horizontally, not vertically.
Other things to note
- Virtual Security Guard is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories).
- Rapid Response is the seller and provider of the camera motion person detection monitoring service and guards. Ring bills your Ring account for this service.
- Ring Alarm sensors are not monitored by Virtual Security Guard.
Need more help with Virtual Security Guard?
Contact us at 1-866-894-8282 and we’ll be happy to assist. This Customer Support line is dedicated to Virtual Security Guard customers.
1Virtual Security Guard is an add-on service that requires the following (each sold separately): subscription fee per enrolled location plus a compatible Ring Protect plan, Ring Alarm system, enrollment in Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring2, and an eligible device. Rapid Response is the seller and provides the service and agents monitoring person detected motion events. Learn more.
2A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm professional monitoring service. Professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own professional monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for a business or commercially zoned address. See Ring alarm licenses at: ring.com/licenses. Additional permit or false alarm fees may apply depending on your local jurisdiction. Additional charges may apply in areas that require permits or guard response service for alarm verification